Langkawi: Temurun Waterfalls

Travel Period : 6th Dec – 8th Dec 2009

Day 2

[ Driving to the Falls ]

The night before we went to sleep, we had set our alarms to go off at around 7am but still, all of us overslept. We must have been too tired from our activities on Day 1. Even Dar was too tired to wake up, which was quite rare in our daily life.

We tried contacting the rental car services that we had booked yesterday but the person did not want to take our business. In the end, we wasted some time trying to get a new rental car from the resort. (read below for the Side-story)
After examining the car at the resort’s car park, I was pleased with its condition. Also, the car appeared to be rather new too so it was still very much valued for money.

Without further delay, we drove towards our first destination — the Temurun Waterfalls. It is Langkawi’s tallest waterfall and 30m in height with a pool below where visitors could swim.


The Telaga Tujuh Waterfalls (also known as the ‘Seven Wells’) is actually the more famous waterfalls in Langkawi. However, we had decided to skip it as it required a considerable amount of climbing/hiking to reach the waterfalls. With Dar tagging along with us, it would be very unlikely for us to go very far there.

Referring to the island’s map which we had gotten from the airport, we reached the Temurun Waterfalls without much difficulty. We refilled the car’s petrol with RM30 (as recommended by the car rental lady for a day’s usage). The journey took us quite a while but the drive there was fun, consisting of quiet, winding roads and scenic views of trees and mountains along the way. Even the waterfalls were pretty void of visitors. (Was not a good time to visit since it was the dry season but we wanted to see something natural)


Before we proceeded into the forested area, we ensured we had done ample anti-mosquito measures, pasting the insect repellent patch on our clothes.

We then walked a short distance before reaching a pavilion, where we sat down to feed Dar his breakfast cereal. All three of us had not eaten anything since morning as we were running behind on our original itinerary, but we had to make sure Dar would not go around hungry.

It was a refreshing experience to feed Dar in this so-called ‘wilderness’ but we couldn’t say it was a pleasant one. Despite our insect repellents, we could still hear and see mosquitoes flying around us and attempting to suck our blood. Looks like these mosquitoes were too hungry and eager for human blood to be bothered with the smell from the repellents. And the patch turned out useless as Cat was bitten on her legs while feeding Dar and so had to apply the insect repellent lotion instead (Later on, we also discovered that he was bitten too).

After Dar finished up with his food, we proceeded on deeper into the forest. It was very warm and stuffy and we started perspiring. As it was now the dry season which is between November and April, most of the waterfalls had already dried up and so we couldn’t really witness the magnificent sight with tons of water gushing down from the top. Still, watching the waterfalls was a beautiful view and we couldn’t help but admire the scenery.

Even the lower part of the waterfalls was nice.

As we made our way up to the higher grounds to catch a better view of the waterfalls, we realised it wasn’t an easy way up, as some of its steps had crumbled away due to long periods of exposure to natural forces. The task was made more difficult when we had carry Dar while making it up to the top. Though it was quite a tough journey up, it wasn’t really a dangerous one if we tread carefully.


When we finally reached the top, we could finally admire the waterfalls from up close. It was still a magnificent view despite the lack of water gushing down.


I set up the tripod we had brought along to self-take a family photo. A couple was swimming in the clear pool beneath the waterfall and kindly moved away for us to take it with the backdrop of the waterfall. (I think we were disturbing them making out…) The air was also much cooler with the water vapour and Cat regretted not feeding him here earlier. There was no mosquitoes flying around too.


After staying there for a while and having taken some photos of the place, it was time for us to head back down and move on to our next destination.

The journey down was a more difficult one than up, and we made effort to hold on to the supporting wooden beams along the pathway tightly for safety. A little scary!



The Waterfall in its magnificence. Alas, we couldn't see this due to it being dry season now.
The Waterfall in its magnificence. Alas, we couldn’t see this due to it being dry season now.


We spotted a toilet at the entrance. There was no water from the tap though and we had to use a cup to take water from a bottle sitting outside. There was a board in Malay saying 30sen, also something about bath. We understood it meant if we need to bathe, we could voluntarily pay 30sen to use the water. We did not pay though since we just wanted to wash our hands. There was no people around to ‘guard’ the place too so we didn’t bother.

Phew! We were sweating profusely by the time we returned to our car and were appreciating the cooling air from the air-conditioner.

With the comfort of the car, I drove ourselves to our next destination — the Oriental Village.

[ Side-Story : Car Rental Miscommunication ]

At around 8am, I called up Zamzuri, the car rental person who had agreed to drive his car to our resort by 9am, as arranged on our first day. However, nobody picked up the call. I had a slight bad feeling but I just brushed it aside.

Then at 8.30am, I tried calling him again. This time, he picked up the phone but said that he was too busy to drive the car here to the resort, and giving excuses like him having too many customers to attend to and not having enough manpower etc. However the thing is, he had already agreed upon our deal the day before and if he really had genuine reasons fulfilling it, he should have the basic ethics to tell me as soon as possible. Instead, he didn’t even bother and only said so after I called him! What kind of service is he providing? I was really angry at his unprofessionalism, especially after he hung up the phone on me abruptly after saying, “sorry I busy, you go find someone else”.

I then remembered I had received a name card at the airport providing car rental services. When I took it out and checked the name and contact number on the card, I realised it was the same person after all! I was seriously thinking of black listing him here by putting down his full name and contact number but after I cooled down, I decided to let it rest. Do watch out for this Zamzuri person if you are planning to rent a car at Langkawi though.

With this sudden twist of events (we were already packed up for our car cruising plan for the day), I needed to quickly look for alternatives.

Taking out our iPod Touch, I googled for other car rental services but the replies I got after calling them was that they had either rented out all their cars or were also refusing to send their car to the resort.

Running out of options, we decided to head to the lobby first and decide if we were to book a cab to the airport to pick up a car for rental, or to try rent a car from the resort.

Reaching the lobby, we waited for quite a while before the lady from the car rental service appeared. Fortunately, one of their cars, the Nissan Spectra, was still available for rental at RM200/day. Despite it being pricier than those offered at the airport, it wasn’t the time to be picky. So we secured the deal promptly and I managed to bargain for a rental of RM180/day.

{ This post was written in 2009 after the trip }

{ Next Post : Oriental Village }

Leave a Reply